Tangible Interactions

Molds for the soldered board

After I tested the board as a wireless stand alone I decided that an enclosure was in order.

animatedBoards.gif

This meant joining the knowledge of Prototyping Electronic Devices and Digital Fabrication classes in making the board and then designing the enclosure.

The design process started off with the following models:

These I consulted with Danny Rozin who suggested that I tried a dip casting (how rubber gloves are made), for this I created the following models

These dip molds were made at La Guardia studio. Since the date of delivery was going to take a while I decided to start working in another mold.

With the help of Chester Dols I created these models which will make up the spheric enclosure I´ve been dreaming of for so long.

The molds are comprised of 4 parts to do the casting and one part to hold the circuit.

 

This is the central part that will keep the casted mold hollow.

This is the bottom piece which has standing legs that will helo the casting

This top mold was divided in to so that placing the interior hollow mold would be possible.

All parts of the mold had long tabs made to allow for clamping. And the bulb mold had resporatory and casting holes which proved actually too narrow to use, it was actually this part what proved more need of adjusment but lets not jump ahead in the process.

The base and bulb molds were made in the Ultimaker 3 with a 6mm nozzel and PLA filament. It took for the machine an average of 25 hours to create each part. The two parts that comprise the top mold were made in a Fortus 450mc at Tandon´s makespace. The average cost of the outsourced jobs (drip molds and top mold) was of $20 USD due to the subsidy provided both by Tisch and Tandon.

animatedSphereMold.gif

For the material I used Ecoflex 00-50 sylicone bought in the Complete Sculpture.

The casting process for the dripping molds was not successfull as the layer poured was too thin, so if I am to try this process again I would need a hardener for the ecoflex so that it cures faster and I can drip mor layers on top.

WP_20171214_00_25_34_Pro.jpg

The casting for the sphere mold, as I mentioned before was a little hard due to the pouring hole being too smal, it took some work to

It took 24 hours for the material to cure completly and the realese was extremly easy. Once it was done I installed the conict enclosure with the pressure sensor attached to a baterry holder inside the sphere I had to hold it with electrical tape to make sure it didn´t move but in general terms it was tightly sealed and the pressure sensing worked perfectly.

To further develop this prototype the bulb mold will be need to be improved so that casting is easier, the circuit enclosure holds to the sphere in a better way and I also need to create a lid to seal the enclosure part.

Manipulating reality

For my final Narrative in AR project I decided to play around with the idea of Manipulating Reality.

I formed my project around two main ideas

  1. If with AR tools we are able to "place" in the real world virtual objects and universes, what would happen if we could use haptic controls to manipulate/touch the reality we see
  2. A constant question during this course for me was how to justify the need to hold a screen in front of me in order to get the experience I desire. That is how I ended up thinking that if the haptic controls I was thinking of were attached to a screen then it would be like holding a "magical" looking glass.

So i went back to my previous work regarding tangability and "squishy buttons" which I have been developing further in other classes during this semester. During this exploration I´ve discovered that the tangability of an object that can be squished is highly satisfactory for people.

I decided to use the sensor I´ve been using for said "squishy button" and make an AR experience that would make a yuxtaposition of senses: sound, touch and sight.

For this I used Vuforia as I knew my experience was going to be static, not mobile due to the time I had to develop the piece. So with the vuforia camera I created a grid of reality that could tbe ransformed, for this transformation I thought of the idea of using a reflected image.

The idea of the reflected image came from the exploration of the obiqutous screen, a screen that is in many ways also a mirror - due to its front camera capability-. What if we could touch said mirror and change the way it shows reality back.

So through connecting a sensor that would detect the pressure excerted over a lump of putty in a jar read by an Arduino UNO communicating with Vuforia using Ardunity for Unity, I created an experience that lets you manipulate the reflection of the reality you are in. Then not only Augmenting reality but also augmenting your control of it.

Further developments of this piece will involve making it wireless and portable i.e. being able to move both control and app into a mobile device, probably an iPad.