For this first assigment we used the blippar basic builder. A drag and drop tool that allows you to pull in media into a canvas around your marker. The marker in this case had to be a book cover or a Poster.
As I browsed through my bookshelf I decided to use one of my favorites: Los rituales del caos by Carlos Monsivais.
I love this book because it describes mexican society in its messines and nonsense in a way that is only achievable by its author Carlos Monsivais.
So I imagined that the only way of bringing this book out of its cover was by recreating that chaos. Since I´m not that good at graphical representations myself I decided to borrow work by Edgar Saner, Brunice and Abraham Scardanely, and arrange it so that it will represented an everyday scene of Mexico´s city downtown. I figure that combining illustration, photography and sound will convey what this book tells even to those who are not spanish speakers, know nothing about Monsivais or Mexico.
Eventhough the "dragg and drop" gives the idea of ease of use it is not immediate that one can use this editor, and even once you figure out some of its basic components you realize how much more could be done and then other obstacles that might be faced. These are my main lessons:
- Make many builds as possible: eventhough the canvas is very well depicted and it is quite easy to navigate the 2D and 3D view, the real deal shows only on the previews
- There is a limit to the sound file: have no idea what it is, probably something a minute or shorter, I tried for the longest time to make one file work until I substituded with a new one.
- I discovered too late that there is a way of adding scenes: my project is one scene, I wonder how you could create a narrative by going to different scenes.
- 3D is fun, but good 2D might be more cohersive: I got over excited with placing "standing figures", I wonder how much better everything would´ve been if I had kept myself withing the 2D realm
- Documenting is a...problem: My video is very poor, I need to improve documentation capabilities, or get someone to help each time.
The sound is by "thearxx08" from free sounds.